11 April 2013

Act III

Photo info: Wikipedia
There've been a few things happening lately.

There's this.

And this.

And now, there's this!

Wait, what?!

I've been toying with the idea of going to grad school for the better part of two decades, but always had something else to do first. I was even accepted and ready to go, back in the day -- I remember telling Kim when I started racing: "School will always be there; my physical ability to race a bike will not. I can always go back later."

Well ... it's later.

As of today, I am officially part of the Wake Forest Schools of Business MBA class of 2014. I've been in prep mode since Christmas, got the decision at the end of March, and now it's game on! Needless to say, I was stoked to get in, even moreso when U.S. News released its 2014 rankings the other day ... the WFU part-time program -- MY program -- came in at No. 28 in the nation! Holy moly, am I ready for this?!

I was never the best student. I like learning, but I just don't have any patience -- I lose focus and my ability to process information -- especially numbers -- goes out the window. But I've been doing a lot of thinking in the past couple of years, watching some very interesting trends in the bicycle industry, and I know that I don't have the tools I need -- we need -- to make the most of the challenges and opportunities ahead. I need to backfill nearly 20 years in business with the knowledge and skills afforded by one of the top business programs in the country. And so, starting next in January, I will.

Gulp.

I'm really lucky they looked past a fairly dismal undergrad transcript to see the value of what I'm trying to do. Wish us luck as we get ready to start yet another couple of chapters in this roller coaster ... bring it on ... and go Deacs!

1 comment:

The Ghost of Jerry Reed said...

Congrats Chris! Our tire product manager Charles got his MBA from Wake and has nothing but positives to say about it. Best of luck! Email me if you need some Adderall.