04 August 2011

Team Skink

Some of you may have noticed something different when tracking the results from Wausau24: My lap times were listed under "Team Skink." After three seasons racing for Siren Bicycles and in support of World Bicycle Relief, for 2011 things have changed a bit ... sort of.

Because of my role at Cane Creek, I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to experience a variety of bikes and components from different industry partners. To say it's a dream come true is an understatement -- Pisgah is the perfect testing ground for mountain bike equipment, and our parts cover a range of applications, so we get to ride a host of different parts and frames in some of the toughest (read: best!) conditions imaginable.

Thus, "Team Skink" was born, named after the lizard that is native to our area and has appeared in the Cane Creek logo for more than 20 years. We even saw one on our back deck the day I got home from Wisconsin! These little guys are super-quick and resourceful -- exactly the way I'd like to race. So rather than riding one brand exclusively, this gives me a chance to take our testing to the next level -- on the race course.

As you can guess, I still actively support World Bicycle Relief, and isn't it great that Siren is a valued industry partner?! That said, at races going forward, I'll likely be wearing our new Cane Creek cycling kit, or something event-specific -- this was the case at Wausau, where title sponsor Salsa Cycles went out of their way to acknowledge CC's involvement with the event and really took care of my dad and me out at the race.

So watch this space for an upcoming Wausau24 race recap, and down the line a bit of a deeper look at some of the fun stuff I get to ride these days ...

2 comments:

Rick said...

I saw a blue-tailed skink for the first time last week and thought it was the coolest thing. I hadn't seen one with a blue tail before, but he was just hanging out on our planter wall. Much cooler than the geckos I had down in FL.

Chris said...

Isn't that blue crazy? Incandescent -- beautiful. From what I understand, it fades with time; best time to see them is between now and mid-September, before they move to adolescence.