21 December 2010

On Writing

Here's the deal: I started this blog a long time ago as an outlet for myself. I'm happy you all have come along for the ride at one time or another, but for the most part, you as the audience have been a secondary concern. (No offense intended!) This was a convenient and fun outlet for me to share thoughts and happenings, so I can sort of look back and reflect.

But blogs are only as good as their content, even when they're intended to be personal. And though this is personal, it's also public. So when I start dealing with career issues, or illness or injury in the family that I'd rather not talk about publicly, the content suffers. It's not for lack of angst, I assure you -- but over the past couple of years, there have been a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff going on that I just won't put out there on the interwebs.

Couple that with the rise in prominence of Facebook and its quick-and-easy-but-short status updates (the irony is not lost on me that you are probably reading this on Facebook, by the way), and the jumble in my brain has gotten pretty well jumbled. And here's the rub: that means I'm writing again. Not blog writing, not observing the world around me, but actually writing. And the more jumbled I am, the better I am at it.

So I'm going to focus on that for a bit. I have a couple of things working their way through my subconscious, and I know many of you will understand the absolute compulsion that now drives me to get them out. Writing is a process, true -- but as anyone who has ever done it seriously can tell you, that process starts with drive: You just can't not write.

This blog run has been fun, and I may still post from time to time (after all, it propagates to Facebook), but in 2011 I feel I have some things to say that are meant for a different forum. Who knows? With a little dedication and luck, maybe I'll have something public to share after all.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Jason said...

Chris,

Nice work on the blog, you are a top notch writer. If you are ever looking for an outlet (again) you know where to find me at XXC. Good luck and thanks.