28 April 2010

News of the day

So they say Southern life is "slower," and they generally say the same thing about rural living as well. I guess you can kind of classify the Asheville basin as both Southern and rural, especially as you get further away from the city proper, near like, say, Hendersonville, where we live. Add to that the mountain influence, and you'd darn near think we were catatonic, right?

While that's not quite true, I do get a kick out of our local news. As a former journo and self-avowed news hound, all of a sudden I find myself in a strange black hole -- I've no television, and the only headlines I see are from the two local papers: the Asheville Citizen-Times and Hendersonville Times-News. After years of checking the Chicago Tribune on a more or less hourly basis, I have to admit my whole concept of news has changed -- it's amazingly liberating to not buy into the infotainment that is passing as "news" these days. I mean, how many stories about Blago or CPS or Drew Peterson do you really need? What happened to the investigative work of old? What gets published today just feeds the instant-access monster, and it feels fantastic not to buy in. (Or has it always been this way?! God forbid!)

So instead, I check the "headlines" once or twice a day, and haven't been to the Trib web site since New Year's. None of it applies to me, and if there's a big enough story that affects me, I'll likely find out about it eventually. But in the meantime, I can focus on the important things in life, and not be bogged down with all the crap. And boy am I happier for it!

I just had to share our major headlines in Hendersonville today, as an example. These are in descending order as of about 10:30 this morning -- mind you, this is important stuff around here!

Admittedly, the Hendersonville paper focuses on local high school sports and small-town gatherings more than the Asheville paper does -- the Citizen-Times regularly publishes updates on entertainment tidbits, and seems obsessed with Biggest Loser -- but no matter which way you look at it, I've become unplugged from the angst that seems to be plaguing the country and the world. Stories about chickens and cows and Vicks VapoRub? This is what my life has become, and I love it!

5 comments:

Ben Welnak said...

you riding a 55 or the song 29 around the trails there?

PorshaCoghlan梁子珠 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

Hey Ben - it's a Song Fifty-Five. The mixed wheel setup is working great for me so far. The only two concessions I've made to Pisgah are 1) running Karma tires front and back instead of SB8s; and 2) I switched up to a 160mm rear rotor from 140, much less brake fade!

美書 said...

好文章,希望能一直看到您的PO文........................................

淑娟 said...

thank you for you to make me learn more,thank you∩0∩