08 May 2007

Cycle Sport, July 2006

I'm quite a bit behind on my reading materials. Between driving to my last job and generally being busy, I just haven't had that much time to keep up. So there has to be some sort of situational irony in the copy of Cycle Sport, July 2006, that I just read at lunch.

Specifically, it was Graham Watson's column. Publishing deadlines being what they are, he was writing just a few days after May 23 ...


"I spotted it as soon as stage one [of the Dauphiné] began, the way many cyclists were riding two or three abreast, their shoulders in gentle contact and their heads turned in for some earnest conversation. ... Nearly all the talk was in Spanish or emanating from Spaniards who could speak English or French with their captivated colleagues ... The subject of these conversations was abundantly clear -- the situation in Spain and, specifically, had any more names been released.

...

The news from Madrid came in that evening and would completely smother Ivan Basso's performance [in the Giro] on Monte Bondone the very next day.

...

Factor in the Spanish armada here [at the Dauphiné]-- those that we assume are going to be able to ride in the Tour -- and you'll see what a great race this is. ... But let's not forget the Italian influence in cycling ...

Ivan Basso scorched the Giro d'Italia with his pristine, almost serene class. He never put a foot wrong, never had a hair out of place, never ever let a rival get his wheel in front of him. ... Basso trounced what little opposition there was. He made mincemeat of Simoni, Cunego, and Savoldelli, and turned that nasty last week into a one-man demonstration of supremacy. ... throw Basso's name into the conversation and the conversation will just stop -- he looks that good. ...

And July cannot come quickly enough for me: Basso versus Ullrich versus Vinokourov. What a welcome prospect in these troubled times!"

And what a sad commentary one year later.

5 comments:

joeyTWOwheels said...

Hear hear!

I'm saddened, once again, by the sport of cycling. Just last night I watched (TiVO) young Thomas Dekker crush at TdR and all I could think was "does he dope?"

It's sad because he's a star on the rise and I like his riding style.

But because of his predecessors, I don't know if I can ever believe another pro cyclist.

It's a true bummer.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I have said this for years....they ALL dope. You cannot win the TDF on orange juice alone

Steve D

Chris said...

The point of my last couple of postings isn't to cast a light on the fact that they're doping -- it's to expose the sad hipocrisy of it all. Whenever there's money involved, there will be people trying to cheat -- just don't blow smoke up my ass and expect me to not get really bad gas.

If you go back through Basso's "denials," it's pretty telling -- only once that I could find that he comes out and says "I'm innocent of doping." Almost every other quote is a cleverly crafted non-denial denial.

mountaingoat said...

It's time to start nailing the teams that sign these guys.

Anonymous said...

You guys all need to get a room. You will always be amateurs and we will keep taking the prize money and leave you with lint in your pockets.

Maybe you should quit riding and find a new sport.

Love,

The Pro Peleton