15 May 2007

Boning up

Two easy rides in the book, road bike clean and ready, T-minus 24 hours to go. Tomorrow will be my first crack at the Bone Ride, the (in)famous "training ride" from Milwaukee to Madison ... and back. It started a bazillion years ago when Tom Schuler and his cronies were training for Nationals or the Olympics or some such, and has evolved now into an annual slug-fest that sees upwards of 150 people beating on each other for 160 miles or so. Tomorrow's weather looks more promising than last year, when they faced rain and hail and epic conditions -- for 6-1/2 of the 8 hours they spent on the bike. Ouch.

It's funny -- I'm finally in a place in my life where I can do this ride, and I'm looking forward to it, but for the first time I'm not so sure it's the right thing for me to be doing. Sunday looms large in my mind (I had nightmares last night about dropping off the front face of "Hot Dog Mountain," which was the name of the ski hill at Grand Geneva once upon a time), Kim is sick and coughing up a lung at about 3:30 every morning, and I haven't done a road ride over 2 hours in ... um ... uh ... two months? Thankfully I've had some long MTB rides in there, but it's not quite the same. It'll be pretty cool to roll out with my coworkers tomorrow, though, a whole lot of red and white taking up a good chunk of the peloton ...

Darn it all: Seems someone in California or Germany didn't consult with Don regarding the WORS schedule. Seems the Sea Donkey is changing its dates, looking for better weather ...

1 comment:

spicyride said...

sounds like kim has what we've all had at the gatto house.