03 January 2007

Lost and found

Holy cow!

So yesterday was my first day, and what a day it was! I'm totally psyched -- "cloud nine" doesn't even begin to describe where I'm at right now. The work is uber-challenging, but the environment is so completely awesome that I'm excited to go to work each day.

Where to begin ...

First off, I test rode my commute yesterday morning. What happened to Clark Street? Man, I was overwhelmed by staring at so much gentrification that I missed my turn, and ended up all the way down at Clark & North, instead of North & Halstead. D'oh!

I hit Starbucks on my way in, last-minute fortification before facing the crowd. The entire crowd, that is -- the first all-office meeting of the year was my introduction! It was nice to see a familiar face or two; of course, now a bunch of people know who I am and I have no clue as to who they are!

We then did a walk-around of the main floor -- wow. The only way I can describe it is a cross between an open-space loft office and a bike shop. I mean, my desk area right now is defined on either side by a couple of hard-shell bike boxes, and when I spin around I'm facing a table full of cranks! I think Stan (el Presidente and SRAM founder) thought I was joking when I said I felt right at home ... it's just like my dining room ... but for those of you who have seen my dining room, you know what I mean!

My first day went really well, just trying to get my feet on the ground and get them running full-tilt toward the future. We have so much work ahead of us, and it's so exciting!

Oh! I've decided that you know you're in the right job when the reading material left behind in the bathroom matches the reading material in your bathroom at home. It's an even bigger bonus when it's a magazine issue you haven't read yet!

(And can I just tell you how "refreshing" it is to find Bicycling instead of the Wall Street Journal?!)

ONLY 346 DAYS TO NATZ!!

1 comment:

spicyride said...

that's so funny. i've worked there for so long you don't even think about those things until somebody reminds you of what its like in the "real world". its like you become numb to how cool it is or something.