06 January 2007

Cracked

Some things in life are better left unexperienced. Today I discovered one of them. If you ever have the chance to break a rib or two, skip it. Trust me.

I jumped at the chance to ride the MTB today, and headed up to Pets bright and early. Great day, not too cold, fun to check out new trails ... We managed to assemble a good little group, and started out on the loop -- I was riding like a small child, as my entire MTB existence is only about 2 months' worth, and it takes a minute for me to get back into it ...

I lasted 18 minutes. We dropped down into a gully, quick up and over a nice big root, steep bank ... I got the front over the root, stalled, and all of a sudden I was freewheeling, and tipping over to my left ... oh crap, this is gonna hurt ...

I had made the root and dropped my chain -- as my legs spun furiously with no resistance, my momentum went sideways, and my left ribcage did an unprotected bounce off the wood. Oh my god did it hurt. I won't lie. I'm a pain wuss, and I was swimming in a world of it. I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry myself to sleep ...

Instead, we headed back toward the cars, and movement managed to loosen it up a bit. I lasted another hour of off-and-on riding as we had a couple of mechanicals, but it was just getting worse and I was mentally checked out -- The Boy was riding stuff I should have cleaned, but was walking ... it was time to hang it up. Stopping was the worst, as the lack of forward momentum somehow made the pain worse ...

I came home and passed out on the bed ... an hour later, Kim was waking me up, and it wasn't a dream ... crap ...

ONLY 343 DAYS TO NATZ!!

5 comments:

mountaingoat said...

Dude I hope it's not sore for long. I feel bad you didn't get to enjoy most of the ride.

spicyride said...

ooh. that blows. but you got to ride offroad!!! sweet.

FasterJim said...

Dude- been there. About the only you can do is lay low.. let it heal. Tough to do I know. Soppused to get cold this week anyway.

RonSta said...

That sucks.

Get well dude.

Joe said...

That's the thing about riding off road... the more you do it, the better you become. You'll get there.

Heal fast.

- jd