22 December 2006

WOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

So, I was out of a job for ... 3 hours! I left my old job at about 11, headed to Kim's work for free pizza lunch, and was driving back to Evanston for a meeting about another job opportunity, sort of dejected, not expecting to hear anything and knowing that if I didn't get a call by 2 p.m., I would have to wait until the new year ...

2:02 p.m., my phone rings, and it's the job! Not just any job, though, THE job ... the job I was meant to do. I get to use my communications experience and skills for good, to help people help themselves lift out of the poverty and lack of healthcare that is endemic on the African continent. And the way in which they will do it? By bicycle of course!

As of January 2, I am the Communications Manager for World Bicycle Relief, the charity founded by SRAM co-founder FK Day. WBR was started in response to the Tsunami disaster two years ago, and has matured into a not-for-profit that currently is helping HIV/AIDS workers and families in Zambia. There are nearly 1 million people living with HIV/AIDS in the country, and more than 800,000 orphans -- by providing bicycles, WBR is helping aid workers reach more people, more efficiently, and helping families by providing transportation to schools, jobs, and elsewhere.

We're headquartered (co-located) at SRAM world HQ in Chicago, so I'll even know some of my co-workers once I get there. This was the interview I had on Wednesday morning, and it apparently went pretty well! This whole opportunity has been a series of serendipitous accidents: I got the e-mail just minutes after the job became public; I know a couple of people at SRAM who served as cover-letter references; turns out, I know the HR person from my Aon days ... pretty awesome!

This is going to be a demanding, difficult, challenging job -- but it will be one of the most rewarding things I've ever done in my life. We've got big plans to make this a sustainable solution to help people throughout the world -- Bring it on!

6 comments:

MadCross said...

That is awesome news! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Joe said...

Hot Spit!

What a great way to start the new year. Congrats, Chris.

mountaingoat said...

Nice!

Radio Freddy said...

Congratulations!

spicyride said...

congrats. see ya at the office :)

~V said...

That's awesome! Congratulations!!!