29 December 2006

Lost ... and found

So last night I was continuing my Matrix-style crash course in not-for-profit management and took a quick break about 12:30 or so. Hopped on the computer to check e-mails, see if anyone was awake ... and noticed the comment in the last blog posting from someone I knew in high school. Holy crap!

It's kind of amazing how powerful the Internet can be. Meredith is the fourth or fifth person who has tracked me down -- two from high school in the past 3 weeks. It's kind of fun -- not that I'm pining away at all for high school -- I hated my teen years with a passion -- but it's good to know that people have turned out alright. I had lunch last week with a woman whom I haven't seen since graduation 15+ years ago, and now Meredith is filling me in on old friends and old flames ... Funny how time flies!

Let's see what else ... broke my enforced off-season thanks to him. Just couldn't pass up the invitation to hit new roads with 45+ degree weather and no wind in late December! And it's good to know that I'm better company than an electronic music device!

And, as noted, I am knee-deep in not-for-profit management "training." Thankfully much of it is common sense gleaned from being a donor to various organizations for many years, but some of the nuances of communications and PR plans are beyond the scope of my past experiences. I find that even just cracking open a book or two helps get the creative juices flowing, and I have 8 or 9 notebook pages filled with ideas ...

If you get a chance, and are at all interested in nonprofit work, check out Leaving Microsoft to Change the World. (I thought it was appropriate, given the circumstances!) It's not your typical "management-style" book; instead, it's a well-written narrative of one man's move from very high-powered corporate life to a life spent helping others in need. I'm about 50 pages in, and have spent half my reading time underlining passages that help me understand my own mentality at this stage of my career!

Hope everyone has really awesome New Years Eve plans! Happy 2007!

ONLY 351 DAYS TO KC!!

3 comments:

mountaingoat said...

I was disappointed you didn't sing at least one song the entire ride, if you want to compete with the MP3 player you at least have to sing once...

GoFasterJim said...

Welcome to the world of not-for-profits.

Chris said...

Dude you SO do not want me to sing. My dad was told to lip-synch as a child, and I inherited his tone-deafness ... you would have been writhing in pain ...