26 October 2006

Less than halfway

Anyone who has known me for a while has heard my "world revolves around Chris" theory. See, there's this strange phenomenon in which I do/see/hear/become interested in something, and all of a sudden everyone is doing it. Or even just some people. I don't believe in coincidence, so that's why I think I'm the center of the universe. Some call it narcisism; I call it trendsetting.

Anyway, just last evening I was doing the math during my long ride, and realized that the 'cross season isn't even half over for me yet. And then this morning, I told that to Kim. (She groaned.) Then, just a few minutes ago, JPE sends out an e-mail that the WCA season is half-over, but that there are other Midwest options to extend the season ...

Coincidence? I think not ...

Seriously, though, I figured out that my season won't hit halfway until after Boulder. Which is encouraging -- I was feeling a little down after last weekend, but then the official results came out and I feel better. See, I didn't crack the top 10 in the 1/2s, but I was 11th -- and as it turns out, 12th overall, as only one 30+ rider beat me.

That means two things: 1) I was only 2 spots out of the money. And 2) I really am further along than I thought, and much further than last year. See, last year the 30+ racers started a full minute behind the 1/2s. And even as late as mid-November, at the Wisconsin State Championship race, the top three or four 30+ guys were passing me. And sometimes even lapping me. So to have beaten them with an even start is a good sign.

And because I'm not at halfway, there's still a ton of racing to go.

Nice easy/endurance rides the past couple of days, starting a mini-taper heading into Boulder. Good skillz practice this morning at Montrose: I went stealth once I got there, and had fun feeling my way around in the dark. It's been 2 weeks since we had any high-speed barriers, so I needed to get some movement going ... Easy ride tomorrow, pre-race on Saturday, and then Sunday is go-time in Milwaukee! Sorry, Renee, looks like it will be dryer than you want it, but give me my 44 and turn me loose!

Big dilemma right now, though -- the promoter in KC is trying to entice me to come down for the UCI race with host housing and the chance to earn some points ahead of Natz ... problem is, it's the same day as the Illinois State Championship, and I have a real chance at a medal this year ... plus the JPEs are going to be staying at our place and maybe I shouldn't leave Kim all to herself to entertain people she's only met twice ... on the positive side, UCI points don't matter for the masters race ...

ONLY 50 DAYS TO NATZ!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you misspelled narcissism

Anonymous said...

actually, existentially, the world does revolve around you (my extrapolation says this is true- according to you) but, in reality the world revolves....around me.

FYI cyclocross was invented a long time ago.

Jer Walker said...

Screw the points, go for the Gold. Besides, if you get points at KC, it really only does you good at the Elite National and everyone knows that unless you're in the first three rows, you ain't finishing. Stay focused. Points don't make the world go around, you do, right? Later.