19 September 2006

KISSCross Grand Rapids

Blogger still isn't letting me post photos, maybe their scheduled outage at 4 p.m. will help. Here's a bit of a report from Sunday anyway ...
Thanks to JeffWeinert.blogspot.com, I managed to find a 'cross race Sunday, a week before the UCI events in Detroit. It was a lot of fun -- very low-key ("we race for beer"), not much more of a drive than Madison, and there was even some pretty impressive competition -- jeffweinert.blogspot.com and Russ Tiles, who both scored UCI points in Detroit last year, and Mike Wissnick from Specialized, among others (including at least one domestic road pro). Jeffweinert.blogspot.com has a great write-up of the race from the front, and a pic of me in 3rd place the first time through the barriers ...

Jeffweinert.blogspot.com just drilled it, and I hung on until the second lap. After that it was all alone in 4th, 10 times up that brutal hill, but by the end I was gaining on 3rd place, making up 10-15 seconds per lap, and only missed the podium by 20 seconds or so. It was such an awesome way to start the season, so much better than last year. It'll be a lot of fun to line up against the big guns next week and see how I stack up ...

Here are a couple of photos from my perspective -- more to come as Blogger allows.
This is sunrise over Lake Michigan. I had to remember to keep driving east, not southwest -- no Palos this week!


The season's first barriers.

I had such a huge smile on my face; as soon as I saw the course markings once I got off the freeway, I was STOKED! I've been talking about 'cross all year, and now it's finally here -- and living up to the hype!

ONLY 89 DAYS TO NATZ!!!!

2 comments:

StevenCX said...

Are you doing the Madcross race in Madison Oct. 1? I think I'll go over the border and skip the MCF points since it looks like a lot of fun. Any advice for a newbie? I heard there's sand - what kind of tires/pressure would be best?

Chris said...

'Fraid not, Kim and I are going to PA to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. Renee puts on a GREAT event though -- Badger Prairie was my second race last year, and it was the one that saved my 'cross career. The result wasn't great, but I had a TON of fun!

The course is tough, lots of climbing, a bit of off-camber. Pressures low b/c it's a lot of grass. The sand isn't bad, just two sides of a volleyball pit -- first side is ridable, second is if you have the power (most run it). Watch the backside run-up -- it wears on you after a couple of laps. FAST downhill in the first few minutes of each lap. Have fun!!!!