11 August 2006

Yet more change

HOLY CR@P! I walked out the door this morning, and it was BRISK! WOOOO-HOOOO!! 'Cross season is ALMOST HERE!!!

Of course, by the time we got back to town, it was getting humid again, so we're not there yet ... yet ...

In keeping with this week's theme, I've saved the biggest change for last. If you had told me a year ago that I would be ditching my road bike in August in favor of riding trail, I would have said you were crazy. Even into the autumn, as much fun as I was having with 'cross, I was still not an off-road rider.

That is, until Lou got me out to Palos. That day was the start, and I haven't looked back since!

Sooooo ... I SIGNED UP FOR A WORS RACE! And not just any race, but the "biggest" WORS weekend of them all: the Subaru Cup! I'm going to try my hand at the Comp category, which has an omnium for the weekend: a SuperD (time trial) on Saturday and a XC race on Sunday. I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me on a platter, but the thing is, I can't wait!

I will still shave my legs, and will NOT put a visor on my helmet. And really, I just want to see how it goes -- at the very least, it will be a nice change of pace from the road scene, and will serve as good practice for the upcoming 'cross season. I may be taking my life into my hands, but isn't that the fun part?

ONLY 128 DAYS TO NATZ!!

3 comments:

MadCross said...

Wow! You signed up for the WORS cup at Devil's Head . . . I'll let Dave know to make sure he sprints into the singletrack in front of you :-) You're going to have a good time!

mountaingoat said...

Devils Head is nothing like cross but will help the fitness. Expect to climb a lot and hit some of the best technical singletrack in the Wors series. And FYI, any real mountainbikers shave their legs and only about 4 people wear visors.

Chris said...

Hey, now -- just because I run into trees doesn't mean I get in other people's way ...

And I've been doing a lot of thinking about MTB vs. road in prep for 'cross -- Road probably has better intensity shifts, since you pin it for an MTB race, but I'm thinking MTB is actually better "practice" with handling, how the race goes, etc. ... We'll see!