04 August 2006

Subculture of a subculture

First off, I've had two people tell me that they don't crash when mountain biking. I say you're not pushing the limits hard enough. So there.

(OK, seriously, I admire people who are able to ride in control and still rail the heck out of the trails. I'm sort of that way on skis -- I'm fast, but I haven't crashed in years, even on mogul runs out at Squaw. I've been skiing since I was 7. I've only been trail riding for 7 months -- I am not yet that way off-road. I will be. I will be.)

Second, folks in the Mountain world have WAY too much time on their hands. Sure, it makes for entertaining reading, but yesterday I found this bizzarre-o subculture of mountain biker blogs -- there's like 100 of them from WORS competitors alone! I mean, I've been reading some 'crosser blogs for a while, but this takes the cake -- there's some sort of strange incestuousness about it that is kind of like watching a car wreck ... you just can't look away ...

Speaking of car wrecks, you just gotta see this picture of Lenny: http://lifeintherustytoolshed.blogspot.com/

And if you want to waste a whole day of work (not speaking from experience, of course), just start following links ...

... and speaking of links, one of the funniest videos I've seen yet (and it's OK for work -- sort of): http://www.bestofgooglevideo.com/video.php?video=362

ONLY 135 DAYS TO NATZ!!

5 comments:

Steve Driscoll said...

Hilarious video! I did that to myself, just this morning!

MadCross said...

Mountain bikers crash plenty . . . I've been mountain biking since '89 and I crashed just last weekend. So what? I'm just psyched to hear you've gotten a mtn bike finally . . . besides mtbers just love to taunt roadies. Kind of like roadies love to taunt mtn bikers on their first group rides because we show up with camelbacks and don't know how to ride in a pack.

Chris said...

Yeah, but I crash every time I go out on the trails. Usually it's nothing serious -- the tree incident last weekend was the first time in a long time that I was truly in over my head. More often, it's just a deflected tire from a root or rock, or slipping on some ground ... Someday soon, I too will have a "clean" day!

Chris said...

And what's a camelback?

Anonymous said...

Bro I crash, but I can say I never do since you ain't going to be close enough to see it happen. I'll be dusted off and rolling when you catch up!