02 August 2006

BRICK!

Today called for a ride, a run, and some lifting. With storms coming in this afternoon, a weight room at work, and a standing appointment for a Wednesday-morning 'cross ride, there was only one solution to fit it all in: BRICK!

Lou and I hit the Lagoons this morning (more on that later), and then once I got home I threw on the running shoes (a super-fast transition, I might add) and hit out for 30 minutes of tempo. It wasn't quite as bad as I've heard people say it is, but then again Lou and I weren't going that hard for the last 15 minutes of the ride, so I sort of got a cool-down before running. We're a month out from the off-road du Kim and I are doing, so I really need to get in a few run/rides and ride/runs to see how my body will react ...

The Lagoons were in rough, rough shape. The bulldozer work from earlier this summer has shredded the entrance passage, and consequently the trails in the main loop are overgrown in most places, since there hasn't been that much traffic all summer. The 'dozer tracks themselves have become swamps, and aren't draining at all, so there's this huge consequential overflow: 1) folks are riding around the 'dozer tracks, "opening" new trails where there weren't before (essentially making new singletrack where there was widetrack before); and 2) traffic on the other two loops has been heavier, so the "damage" (mostly from BMX kids) is greater.

Most of the fun, open sections are now slow and ugly, and the backside is returning to nature pretty quickly. It's unfortunate -- the trails aren't officially sanctioned by the park district, so they really don't care what happens; the fisherman can still walk back there; and anyone who tries to actually clear trails for riding risks getting into hot water with authorities. I'd hate for us to lose the big loop, but we may not have a choice ...

Other than that, today is our umpteenth day of 90-degrees plus, but relief is supposed to be coming in the form of thunderstorms tonight. I hope they hold off until at least 7 p.m. or so, so I can get the rest of my riding in (MTB on the widetrack Des Plaines River Trail across from work, just need to get some time on the new rig), but if it rains I won't be too heartbroken -- riding when it's 93 isn't the most fun. Oh, and dipsh*t me forgot my helmet this morning, so I shouldn't ride anyway ...

ONLY 137 DAYS TO NATZ!!

1 comment:

Steve Driscoll said...

Chris, re: forgetting of the helmet, please read my second most recent entry on my BLOB.

Also, great rig, mountin biking is "almost" as fun as cross, just less painful and slower!

I'll see you @ Elgin on Sunday?