09 June 2006

News of the day

What a day, what a weekend! So much going on, I don't know where to start!
  • We're now just an hour away from the start of World Cup 2006. The first match, Germany v. Costa Rica, will be played in Munich at 6 p.m. local time (11 a.m. Chicago). Should be a good win for the home team -- I can't imagine a powerhouse like Deutschland, even if they aren't as strong as in years past, will lose to a small CONCACAF team like Costa Rica.
  • In other football news, the new Chicago Fire stadium in Bridgeview opens this Sunday! I'm still not sold on the idea of moving the team to the Southwest suburbs, but then I got a look at the map of the area ... hmmm ... it's just 3 miles from Palos ... hmmm ... morning ride followed by afternoon game? Hell yeah baby! Plus, we'll be coming in on surface streets, so we won't have to deal with the expressway traffic ... and Kim doesn't have school in July or August! Woo-hoo!
  • I got hooked in last night as I was sitting down to eat dinner ... if you've never seen the Channel 11 Chicago River boat show, you're missing out on an awesome piece of Chicago historical narrative. Well ... the original was created and produced in 1995, and last summer they re-did it! They ran the 10-year anniversary special last night, and I realized just how much I loved the original, and how cool the new one was ... so I ponied up and "pledged" enough to get the DVD. Support local television they told me, so I did! (Of course, this meant that I didn't get through any more Tour stages ...) Stay tuned -- they're working on a Fox River version this summer, for release around Thanksgiving ...
  • There is non-football news out of the Fatherland: Site of Hitler's bunker in Berlin given historical marker. I'm not sure how I feel about this one -- on the one hand, it is an important piece of history; on the other, do we really need to know where it is? If memory serves, it used to be in the no-man's land between the Wall -- we saw the spot 15 years ago, but now it's totally changed ...
  • How's this for evangelism? Church Takes Message on Road. The Church of Scientology is sponsoring a car in the NASCAR developmental series, starting this weekend out in Irwindale. Karl Marx would be so proud.
  • When I started to lose weight, one of the things I did was stop going to fast food restaurants. Every once in a while, though, the craving calls ... and I usually aim for a Wendy's -- because I like their food better, it's marginally healthier, and they're a sponsor of cycling events in their home state of Ohio. Now comes this news -- Wendy's whacks trans fats. Yippee! Now I can get the fries and the Frosty!
  • Finally, a HUGE CONGRATS to Renee, who has a new job! She is the first-ever "Safe Routes To School Coordinator" in the Great State of Cheese. Woo-hoo! I made a comment on her blog, and I'll make it here though -- I think the Feds wanted to stress "safe" in the "safe routes" moniker -- not sure how many kids will be looking to jump barriers and hop logs on their morning ride ...

ONLY 191 DAYS TO NATZ!!

2 comments:

MadCross said...

How am I going to find Wisconsin's next cyclocross star if I don't get them started hopping barriers during the K-8 years?

David Johnsen said...

I had the same reaction to the Chicago River show when I saw it in December -- I became a WTTW supporter and got the DVD with both versions. The DVD makes a nice companion to Libby Hill's "The Chicago River: A Natural and Unnatural History."

I have also enjoyed "Wild Chicago's Illinois Road Trip" on WTTW this spring. It has been like reliving last year when I traveled all over the state working on my book.