28 May 2006

The Prophet

Remember when I said Snake was just a big cross race? Well, call me St. Christopher The Seer ...

I got a GREAT start, and was sitting between 12th and 15th as we hit the cobbles. The only other time I started this well in such a tough field was at Natz last year ...

So I was totally on track to be in the money, great position and feeling good ... And 30 feet into the Snake, on lap one, we were all of a sudden back in Providence.

Eight or nine guys got through, but theb 10th wheel, on the left, lost it. He got twisted sideways, taking out the two guys next to him, and forcing those of us with good position to put a foot down. So, just like Providence, my day was over before it began.

I didn't go down, but running up a 12.5% BRICK climb on brand-new Look cleats is not a recipe for success. I went from 15th to 50th in about a minute, and my goal was gone.

The rest of the race was hard, as Burlington suffered through record 90+ deegree heat. The guy who finnally set up the sprayer at the top of the hill was an Angel, while the Devil kept calling me Gary Doering ...

All in all, I am very dissapointed in my 30-something placing, but there was nothing I could have done. Sometimes you do evreything perfect, and it just doesn't work out ... That's bike racing ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»