18 May 2006

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ...

It wasn't love at first sight. In fact, the first time Kim and I met each other, I was being a jerk about an ex-girlfriend, and she refused to follow my directions home from Milwaukee. But then, a couple weeks later, we were on a campout together, and since everyone else there were couples, we were left with each other ...

I still remember the line I used: "What's the deal with marshmallow fluff?" Not very original, but somehow, some way it worked -- I've never been very smooth when it comes to relationships, but there was something magical about that night, and I still remember when I started holding her hand, when we had to rearrange the sleeping bags because we had water pouring into the tent, and how it felt to crawl out into the campsite the next morning only to find that we were the only ones who braved the storm.

We were married 2 years, 10 months later, at 2:10 p.m. on May 18, 1996. Ten years ago today. You know how they say "the more things change, the more they stay the same"? Well, for us, that's just not true. Everything has changed. I flipped through our photo album to pick out a couple of shots, and I came across faces I haven't seen in 10 years, and faces I will never be able to see again. Photos of us tell the story: we were very different people then. We all were; hell, the world was different. But every time someone asked me why I wanted to get married so young, I always said the same thing: "I have a lot of life left to live, and I want to experience it with Kim."

Since then, we've been on an amazing roller coaster of a journey. And you know what? Through it all, we've braved every storm together. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy anniversary Kim. These first 10 years have been amazing, and I can't wait to see what the next decades may hold. I love you.


This is us at our rehearsal. Who ate Kim's fiancé?

Throwing the garter -- the reception was not one of my finest hours. And yet, she stayed with me ...

How is it that Kim looks so happy next to my sour puss? I realize now just how lucky I was!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Love You

Steve Driscoll said...

Congrats Guy's! After knowing you both for some time now, through the good and lower spots of life (cycling wise) It is appearent the love & dedication you have for each other as husband & wife, and friends!

S&G

Stina 1 + twins said...

Happy Anniversary and many more!!! I still remember the fashionable "ankle wear" that you were sporting that day!!

Kim said...

Awww!!!

It doesn't seem like that was 10 years ago!

I remember Kim was absolutely beautiful that day. I had the honor of being her assistant and got to see Chris' reaction to seeing her for the first time before she walked down the aisle. Priceless.

Congratulations.