12 March 2006

I won, I won, I won!

OK, so it's a completely hollow victory, and I will surely pay for it with some sort of brutally nasty weather, probably at Hillsboro (which every year thus far has been 80-90 degrees and sunny), BUT, I made it through this week without riding the trainer!

Capped off by 65 degrees and sunny yesterday, and 45-50 and cloudy today -- but more importantly, completely dry both days! -- this training block was my biggest yet, and thankfully didn't include any indoor time. I don't know that I would have minded so much, given all the hours of videos that Andy let me borrow, but it's always better to be riding than slogging, in my opinion ...

So tomorrow is a very well-earned day of rest, after something like 12 or 13 straight days of riding -- I was halfway through it before I looked at my calendar enough to realize that it would be that much of a block, and all told it's been pretty successful. I cut loose a little on the Judson ride yesterday, and with the sun and nice temps took the governor off the engine a bit ... and then today we had a good, steady group from Crystal Lake up around Lake Geneva, in the hills and wind ... former Macker Mike Macedon is looking strong as he starts his "training camp" week ...

So this week is a bit of a recovery week, before opening the season at Parkside next Sunday. I hear Mack had a good group up there today, I'm sure our 40+ guys were dominant! I never seem to go all that well after a recovery week, so next week is just to get out and attack, pushing it a bit in anticipation of the Arizona mountains and Hillsboro soon after ...

ONLY 280 DAYS TO NATZ!!

1 comment:

dplex said...

40+ Dominant? Sorry. I rode like a turd in the 40. Robert offered to lead me out but I told him not to bother. He crossed in 9th, I was 13th (field of 34).

Had much better form later in the Cat 3 (field of 51) but could only manage 10th in a carnage packed last lap. Chip got caught in last lap crash number 1. I was in the middle of tumbling riders and bikes in last lap crash number 2. Somehow, I stayed upright but by the time I got clear (after flat spotting my rear tire from locking up) 9 who cleared the tumblers were 100 meters up the road.

Ain't racin' grand?

Don