02 February 2006

Over and over and over and over ...

I've always had a special affinity for Groundhog Day. Growing up, it was my great-grandfather's birthday; then, when I met Kim, I got a vicarious connection to the Bill Murray film of the same name. See, Kim was in Student Council when the film was made in her hometown of Woodstock, Illinois, so despite her suffering from mono, she got to go on an "exchange" out to Pennsylvania to see the real Phil. Then, when we got married, after the ceremony we hung out in the Woodstock town square, aka Punxsutawney, PA.

I guess Phil saw his shadow this morning, which means we're in for winter until mid-March. Heck, if this is winter, I'll take it! (Forecast high for Punxsutawney today is 48!) But check this out:

Others latched on to the Phil frenzy for a publicity boost — for just about anything, from global warming to the lottery. ...
... The American Physiological Society was offering experts to discuss "What Punxsutawney Phil can teach us about surviving massive blood loss, preventing muscle atrophy, and more."

How sad is that? What can a groundhog teach us about massive blood loss? Hell, just race 'cross! Then again, there was that scene where Phil went after Phil (Bill Murray) in the old truck ...

Happy birthday to: B-day wishes to Rhonda Mazza, top-25 Worlds finisher for the U.S. in Zeddam! Mazza also happens to be the wife of Erik Tonkin, another U.S. Worlds team member. And for those of you who follow road cycling, Sandy Casar turns 27 today.

Training time: Good ride last night at Montrose -- my first time ever doing intervals off-road. It hurt! They weren't much -- we're a long way from race fitness here -- but enough to get the engine fired up. BIG difference from the road, though, since you lose momentum constantly on the trail vs. rolling with the terrain on the road. I'm thinking the Tour de Groundhog (keeping with the theme today!) will be pretty ugly in a couple of weeks ... my longest interval last night was 2 minutes, and I was suffering!

ONLY 318 DAYS TO NATZ!!

1 comment:

Steve Driscoll said...

I wish Phil could've taught me about massive blood loss, atrophy and broken bones! Oh well, there's always next year!