07 December 2005

I'm screwed

Every year, Crain's Chicago Business releases their list of "40 Under 40" -- forty people under the age of forty that are "making it" in business today. This year, they are the "climbers," portrayed as already on their way to the "corner office." Even more telling, though, is their supposed balance of work and life.

I like to think I'm fairly successful, although not in the I'm-a-consultant-clearing-six-figures-at-thirty kind of way. I worked with those people for years, and I gotta say, it's definitely not for me. Hell, my parents can't even talk me into going back to school for an advanced degree, although I admire my wife for doing so.

But here's the most damning reason I will never be a 40 Under 40: Kim got me hooked on a TV show that I now watch religiously. In fact, I watch it every night on Spike TV reruns, sometimes for up to 3 hours at a time. And I can't get enough of it!

But according to Crain's, that's why I'll never be a 40U40:

"There are people 'who are unusually successful at both love and work,' says Robert M. Galatzer-Levy, a Chicago psychiatrist whose practice includes more than a few overachievers. They don't waste time 'filling out forms or watching reruns of "CSI",' he says.

So that's why I'm screwed. I refused to watch "CSI" for the first 5 seasons, but now I can't stop. Sometimes I spend that time watching with Kim, which I suppose fulfills some of the work/life balance issues. But for the most part, this is my time -- I don't consider it a waste, though, since you'll never know when you need to know that striations on the fingernails are indicative of heavy metal poisoning! Or that snake venom fed via coffee to an ulcer sufferer can kill them …

And I'm OK with that. In 20 years, when me and the 40U40s are approaching 60, I don't want to have to worry that a) someone is feeding me lead or snake venom because I was some sort of bastard businessman; or b) that I have so much stress that I'm suffering from an ulcer! Instead of climbing toward the corner office, point me the way to Alpe d'Huez any day …

TWO DAYS TO NATZ!!!!

1 comment:

David Johnsen said...

And doesn't registering for races count as "filling out forms?"

Good luck in Providence!