14 November 2005

Monday morning QB

Just got word from the Pony Shop -- my front tire is a goner. And Lou finished on a softening wheel, which is now flat as well. That, plus the two (or more?) Men's B riders I saw out there means that something -- roots, stumps, glass -- was out to get us yesterday! For Lou and I, this is a tough one, as we both ride tube-less tubulars from Tufo (say that 10 times fast!), which means the only way to flat is to puncture them. As Lou explained to me in the beginning of the season -- they're great for 'cross, because you can't pinch flat. But now my wheel has a hole that's too big to slime shut, so a new tire is on order …

I hope my last post didn't come across as me complaining about the course. I love to ride singletrack, I'm just not very experienced at it. My first time off-road was 3 years ago, at my first 'cross race, so I'm at a distinct disadvantage to the guys who have ridden MTBs their whole lives when the course gets technical. (Heck, I've never even been on an MTB!) I'm better suited to true 'cross courses … but that said, we all face the same conditions, on the same course, at the same time -- so you either ride it, or you don't. And yesterday I didn't (I ran!). I'm a bit disappointed, but it was a chance to learn better cornering, and I can tell I'm getting stronger as the season goes on.

On that note, big kudos to the promoters -- the course may not have played to my strengths, but they did an awesome job setting it up, making it tough, and -- above all -- making it dry and rideable despite big storms the night before. Great job!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heeeey....you've been on my mountain bike! You took it for a spin with Steve. Sorry anyway about your tire. -- Karen

Chris said...

OK, Karen's right. But in my defense: Steve and I didn't go off-roading. And it didn't have any suspension. And it was cold. And raining. So I guess that's close enough that I should stop whining?

Anonymous said...

It has front suspension, but I'll stop nit-picking now. Really, I will! -- Karen